WEEK 8

Still sad there's no video lecture this week as well, but I'll keep living.

I think one of the most interesting components of this week's readings is how close many of the events are reminiscent of current affairs and events. A huge part of this week's readings that I caught on with is the dissonance between classes and groups of people (immigrants vs. native). Reading Dawson's text from chapter 1, 2, etc. denotes a threadline of the story of Latin America, one that is riddled with struggle and violence. 

I appreciated that the text supplies us with 4 pieces perceiving the subject of revolution through different forms of text. I suppose out of the 4, I enjoyed the poem the most, as it surrounds itself with allusion and reference, along with being quite the political piece of work it is. Though the other 4 pieces are ostensibly more particular with opinion/facts, I just appreciate the implementation of opinion/facts through the medium of literature and all of it's devices. I'm a big fan of poetry, what came to my mind upon reading the poem is Carlos Bulosan's "I Want the Wide American Earth". Bulosan's a writer and poet from the Philippines, which, to me, has aspects that echo a lot of sentiments of Latin America. 

http://www.barbarajanereyes.com/2017/01/20/poem-for-today-carlos-bulosan-i-want-the-wide-american-earth/ (The poem)

which of the 4 pieces of reading material affect you the most? if not, whyso?




Comments

  1. I agree with you that the poem was the document that made the biggest impression of me, specially because of the irony DarĂ­o uses to highlight the hypocrisy of Americans preaching liberal ideals at the same time they were exerting their power and antagonizing Latin Americans

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite reading was the poem. I felt that it really "told-off" the Americans. Throughout history, Americans have often been viewed as arrogant or boastful, and this poem really took off from this opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts