Week 4

Hey everyone, hope everyone's alive and kicking.

I don't think I have too much to talk about this week. I feel like I was given an insight into the perspective of a few figures, involved in Latin American politics, which I will say is a nice change of pace from what we've been doing.

We've been given some candid portraits of different people and their experiences of discovering Latin America and The New World, but I feel like with these three letters/speeches we got a candid portrayal of Latin America itself. You can really sense the passion driven behind the three letters, which is absolutely admirable. Marti's "The Diplomat" was the most interesting read out of the three. The lecture indicates that there's a lot of metaphor within the piece, and upon reading it, I never realized how much of an understatement that was. The text is dense with imagery and scope, to the degree where it's less prosaic and conversational, but more novelistic or poetic. Latin America's literary scene is rife with such terrific writers (Marquez, Cortazar, Neruda, etc.) so it's really interesting to see the stylistic components of writerly language and dialogue to find it's way into political writing/speeches.

Yeeeah. Not too much to report this week.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I also agree that you can really see the passion in the writing. Its interesting to then see that in pieces that are political, like Marti's, and also in Chavez's speech. I think that there is a difference there between the political energy of North and South America. I don't hear many political speeches in the North with that kind of charisma and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Very interesting read! I didnt realise the amount of metaphor within the piece and the understatement that it was. With a doubt there was heavy imagery used and great use of words. I feel like all political leaders used this as a tactic to win their audiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts