Week One: Video Opinions

I spent a batch of last night watching a few of the student videos, clicking through a batch of them at random. Though all of these dictate a plethora of information, a lot of my enjoyment of these videos are reliant on the formal components of the videos themselves.

A few of my favourites include:

"Caudillos" by Anna Wilmann, Elyse Doyle, Emma Elsner, Isabel Masters, Rachel White

While many of the video essays display a heavy emphasis on the visual aspect, primarily using digital photos in conjunction with with their speaking a la a powerpoint, I found that using hand drawn artwork made for a presentation that was very fresh and quite charming, given the subject matter. 

"Casta Paintings: An Introduction" by Anonymous

I just found this one to be immensely interesting. The presenter was clear in tone and voice, and was articulate in a way that made me feel like I could trust them. It never felt condescending, and it felt like the presenter respected me as an audience member. I really appreciated the description and incision on the various problematic components of casta paintings. 

A few that I enjoyed, but had problems with:

"Independence in Latin America" by Melissa Prado, Jorge Porter, Adrián González, Tabatha Marin, and Karen Poveda

I liked this one, there were a lot of different perspectives and emotions re: independence in Latin America. It was cool to see and uncover the feelings that all of them have. However, I wish it was shot a lot more carefully. The one camera set up was interesting, but it felt choppy and all over the place in terms arrangement. It felt like a bit of a chore to watch. I also wished there was a stronger emphasis on a visual component, which I think is important in learning about experiences, opinions, or information. 

"The Colonial Experience" by Ana Gheorghiu and Lindsay Chapman

I found that across the information, there was a hefty ambition to condense two themes together. I found both to be informing, but I also believe that there wasn't as much focus as a result until the end, when both elements met. Both themes don't necessarily feel as interwoven with each other, so I feel like I was left with two short vignettes as opposed to two parts of a complete whole. I still did find the two parts interesting. Though while I found a lot of the speech bubbles pretty funny, I found them to be inconsistent with the tone that the two creators were trying to present.

Comments

Popular Posts