WEEK 11

This week’s reading applied an interesting component to the course that I haven’t really uncovered until now- Latin American counterculture movements. Though much of the readings described many themes and aspects that were already explored, like US intervention and the corruption of Latin American nations via politicians, the extension into this element into Latin American culture feels like an integral piece to the puzzle. Last week, I briefly mentioned the usage of music and culture to implement ideas within the populace (at least I remember writing that), now I feel like we’re discussing the ideas at work. The brief explorations of counterculture movements and the way the elite and governments go to repress the nation echo many sentiments made in different nations, I think about China’s cultural revolution in particular.

One of the most interesting components of this week’s readings was looking into llosa’s essay. I’ve been familiar with Llosa’s work for a while, but this is the first time I’ve encountered one of his essays. What gravitated me toward the essay was that he spent a lot of time with visual components. Films. Photographs. The interpretation of history through visual means as opposed to other forms of media is that is depicts reality as is. The introduction of visuals to the “dirty wars” allows and provides context to situations that are only described.

Comments

Popular Posts